Crispy Almond Butter Tofu
Of all the vegan foods in the world, tofu is perhaps the most infamous.
It seems like everyone (and I mean everyone) has had a bad tofu experience. They likely tried it once, perhaps raw and unflavored at a salad bar or straight from the container, and never looked back. To those people, I want to say, GIVE TOFU A SECOND CHANCE.
Yes – in its raw state, tofu can lack flavor. But this quality also means it's an amazing flavor "sponge." It will take on any flavor or ingredient that you combine it with – spicy, savory, sweet, you name it.
Baking your tofu in the oven creates a crispy, golden exterior and the almond butter marinade gives the tofu a bold, tangy flavor. Pair with your favorite grain and veggies for a protein-packed meal!
Prep Time: 5 minutes (plus time to press tofu)
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu, pressed*
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tbsp. lime juice (about ½ of a lime)
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten free if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
- Optional: Grains or veggies, to serve
1. Preheat over to 400°F. Press the tofu and cut it into 1 cm cubes. Place on lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until puffy, golden and crispy.
2. While to tofu is baking, prepare the marinade. Whisk together almond butter, lime juice, soy sauce, ginger powder and maple syrup. If preparing with grains or veggies, make those now (I paried mine with brown rice and sautéed zucchini and tomato).
3. When the tofu is done baking, transfer to the bowl with the marinade and toss to coat.
4. Plate with your favorite grains and veggies or eat as-is!
Tips and Tricks:
*Pressing the tofu removed excess moisture and leaves you with a sturdier final result. This also helps to the tofu absorb more flavors when cooking. I cut my tofu block in half and press between paper towels with a heavy object cutting board, baking pan, etc. Pressing your tofu for 30 minutes should be sufficient, but you can press it for longer depending on your available time and preference.